When the wheels fall off your day by 7:30am
This used to happen to me all the time. I’d be rushing around day after day and before long, the wheels would fall off the whole thing before I’d even left the house. I know you know what I’m talking about!
Have you ever had “wheels off” kind of day? It looks like this:
- alarm fails to go off properly – wake up 45 minutes late
- skip morning workout and shower
- try to look presentable without a shower
- grab a coffee on the way out the door
- spill coffee on your outfit trying to get in the car
- go back inside, change clothes
- leave without coffee (or breakfast, for that matter)
- get to work late disheveled and hungry, naturally, you hit rush hour traffic
- grab terrible office coffee
- skip lunch to make up for being late
- mid-afternoon grab a candy bar from the vending machine and another bad cup of coffee
- sludge through the afternoon, grumpy and on an artificial caffeine/sugar high
- bottom out on sugar crash
- get home, order pizza
- veg in front of the tv for 4 hours
- go to bed late and exhausted
Yep. Me too. It feels terrible and if you don’t rescue it somewhere along the way? The same scenario (or something similar) unfolds again the next day.
I used to honestly believe that if the wheels fell off on Monday, then the rest of the week was doomed!
But it’s not!
After PLENTY of my own experience trying to salvage yet another day waking up too late and getting to work late, I began to realize some things. There are some little changes I can make along the way (even on the REALLY bad days) that can consequently turn the whole day around.
Want to know a couple of my secrets?
- Purchase a great hair clip that makes it look like you MEANT to wear your hair tied back!
- Yes, I’m serious about #1.
- Play music that helps reset your mood, or listen to your favorite book or podcast as you drive.
- Before you get out of the car, take 3 deep, even breaths.
- I mean it! Take 3 deep breaths – it’s amazing how much it can calm you down, and only takes about 30 seconds.
- Take the lunch break. You need it. And everyone around you needs you to take it too!
- Pull your favorite essential oil or healing crystal out of your desk. Something as simple as a beautiful stone or a soothing aroma is better at getting you through the afternoon than caffeine and sugar.
- If cooking isn’t going to happen, at least drop by the grocery and choose something with nutritional value on your way home. Lots of stores have decent hot meals that can be consumed immediately.
- Sure, watch some tv if you want. But not 4 hours please! Take a nice evening walk or bath, read a book, have some herbal tea and GO TO BED on time!
Are you ready for the biggest one? This is THE single best way I know to take a wheels-off day and turn it into a dream day! It will literally REVOLUTIONIZE your life.
Drum roll, please….
Yes, I’m serious about this one too – even more than that hair tie!
If you are serious about recovering after the wheels fall off your day and your entire lifestyle – it’s ALL about gratitude.
- Gratitude for waking up in the morning
- Gratitude for even have a shower available (even if there’s not time to use it)
- Gratitude for hair clips
- Gratitude for transportation to work
- Gratitude for coffee, even bad coffee
- Gratitude for vending machines
- Gratitude for making it home safely
- Gratitude for the pizza delivery guy (be sure to express that to him with a nice tip, after all, he’s the reason you don’t have to cook tonight!)
- Gratitude for television
- Gratitude for a bed to sleep in
Do you see how even the yucky day can be SO MUCH BETTER when you add in the gratitude? My experience is, when I start purposefully adding in gratitude even when the day starts off awful, it’s not two hours until the whole thing has turned around!
Most of all, when I go to sleep with gratitude on my mind, I’m much more likely to wake up well and ready for my day! Why? Because, it’s a choice. When I choose gratitude at night, I am choosing to end my day the way I want tomorrow to go. Therefore, choose gratitude!
So what do you say? Will you choose gratitude today?
I LOVE to hear from you! Comment below and let me know what YOU are grateful for!